| About the trust : Mission Statement | Fact Sheet on the Trust | Biography
Fact Sheet on the Trust
- The Friends of Jacob Zuma recognize the ANC Deputy President as the People’s Hero, and acknowledge the tremendous contribution he has made to democracy, human rights and peace in South Africa and elsewhere.
- Encouraged by the outpouring of public support for the ANC Deputy President following him being charged for corruption, the Friends of Jacob Zuma Trust was established to serve primarily as a fund raising campaign to help pay for the legal defence costs.
- The Friends of Jacob Zuma is a collaborative effort of between Cosatu and its affiliates, business, and civil society groups who are concerned about the welfare of the ANC Deputy President, as well as his prospects for a fair trial considering the many prejudices he has suffered prior to him being charged.
- The Friends of Jacob Zuma Trust was registered with the Master of the Supreme Court on 13 July 2005. Members of the Board of Trustees are Don Mkhwanazi, Fikile Slovo Majola and Sizwe Shezi. Other stakeholders and organizations may be given representation on the Board at a later date.
- Ismail Tayob Incorporated was appointed as the auditing firm to oversee the functioning of the Trust. In the interests of transparency and public accountability, they will report quarterly on the financial operations.
- The Friends of Jacob Zuma Trust account with First National Bank Durban - Account Number 62077417918; Branch Code 2214244 is the only legitimate public account associated with the former Deputy President. Members of the public wishing to contribute to the defence costs are urged not to deposit funds into any other account. Funds from the Trust account will be routed directly to the legal team acting for Jacob Zuma in the corruption trial.
- A website has been established to provide updates on the funds collected, fund-raising events as well as the trial. It will allow members of the public to make suggestions for fund-raising activities, or send messages of support to Jacob Zuma. The web address is www.friendsofjz.co.za
- A public SMS campaign has been commenced across all three of South Africa’s cellular networks. By SMSing the word “Zuma” to 36045, members of the public will contribute R5 to the fund. The business service provider will provide monthly reconciliation statements which will be posted on the website.